The Puzzling Case of I’m Going Away
Posted in 1920s,Contemporary,Country Blues,Post-War on 06.23.09

Let’s first start off with life update aka reason blog hasn’t been updated. I’m getting married on Friday (and Saturday) and the wedding planning and whatnot has been taking up a lot of my after work time. I also bought a house and moved to Durham, which took up the rest of my time. I’ll be away on honeymoon to San Diego for the week following. I’m going to give a seal a big hug.

The Puzzling case of the Fiery Furances’ new track I’m Going Away: It is being noted in all the P.R. that the title track lyrics are being credited to Trad. The guitar riff is sounds like its from John Lee Hooker , but those lyrics? At first I assumed it would be a take on Frank Stokes’ side, but there’s very few similarities between those two songs and even less between the track and Elizabeth Cotten or Ralph Willis or any blues song I know – so I’m asking, what is it adapted from?

Fiery Furances – I’m Going Away (2009)

John Lee Hooker – I’m Going Away (1951)

Elizabeth Cotten – I’m Going Away (1965)

Ralph Willis – I’m Going Away (1951)

Frank Stokes – I’m Going Away (1927)

By brad on 06.23.09 12:36 pm

Congratulations! WIsh you and your new wife all the best. Whenever you get settled back in adn check your messages, I hve a request. I used to have a copy of Richard Rabbit Brown’s James Alley Blues, but switched computers and can’t find it now. As you know, it ihas been covered by Wilco, who do it in concert. I have several versions of them doing it. Also, David Johansen did a great cover of it, on the Oxford American music issue CD from a few years back. It might be a good subject for a post, and you might know of more versions.

Do you have Brown’s version (which I believe to be the original)? Look forward to hearing from you when yo get a chance.

Thanks.

Brad

By Marcelo on 06.23.09 11:53 pm

You surely had a good reason to be away from the blog. Congratulations!

By michael on 06.25.09 12:56 am

best wishes for your future and thanks for the tunes.

By D on 06.26.09 2:09 pm

congratulations!

By Sam Rye on 06.26.09 3:07 pm

When in San Diego, drop in on Lou Curtiss at Folk Arts Rare Records
folkartsrarerecords.com
Nicest guy in the world, and I’m sure you’re gonna find something you like at his store.

By jamie on 07.01.09 3:45 pm

i just got the new “blood on my hands” picture disc that i ordered from THEUSED.NET, its sick! check out these pics:

By john on 07.03.09 11:17 am

A belated congratulations
See The Zoo
See Balboa Park
See Lou’s Records in Encinitas (434 North Coast Hwy)
I hope your marriage is as long and loving as my wife’s & mine (36 yrs. and counting)

By elizabeth cotten | on 10.16.09 5:01 pm

[…] voice is taught and strong. She dances a gorgeous tightrope between complex finger picking and beautiful, coarse melody, singing nursery rhyme ditties and […]

By Martin on 12.29.12 7:15 pm

The Puzzling Case of I’m Going Away …

It is definitely a cover of Howlin’ Wolf’s song

I like Wolf’s powerfull version much better…