Newly Found Blind Blake Tracks
Posted in 1930s,Country Blues,Meta on 01.26.09

Life Update

I haven’t posted in awhile because I moved to Chapel Hill in November and I don’t have a place to put up my CDs yet, so they are all in boxes and it’s a pretty big pain to get to them at the moment, Ms. Honey assures me that her patent pending shelving system will be put up the week – and posting should pick up around then. I got a new job in the non-profit sector in Orange County, which is a welcomed change from the banking world. The other bit of news is that I got engaged towards the end of last year which is pretty thrilling. The hunt is now on for “appropriate” pre-war blues songs about lasting romance. (please suggest some)

Blind Blake

Over holiday I picked up the 2009 Classic Blues Artwork From The 1920s Calendar, which seems like an awfully specific title, especially since its not accurate as most of the images are from the 1930s. The main draw for the calendar is that it has the newly found Blind Blake tracks (as well as some new Ben Curry sides) which are loan from Old Hat records (though it looks like Yazoo might have put the disc together) which came as as shock to me as I figured that they would want first crack at releasing those sides.

Night and Day is the first of the lost Blind Blake tracks, recorded in 1932 it by the numbers “woke-up-without-my-woman” blues song that’s strangely punctuated by some wonderful upbeat ragtime guitar work between stanzas – the guitar trying to be the force Blake wish for “to move these blues away” but I’m not sure if it works.

Sun To Sun fairs better I feel – I know most people don’t listen to Blake for his lyrics – but this song is pretty solid I love “I’ve lived on water/I’ve lived on land/I ain’t find no woman whose been fine with one man” line that ends the song.

Blind Blake – Night and Day (1932)
Blind Blake – Sun To Sun (1932)

By Andy on 01.27.09 6:38 am

Oh, that guitar is at odds with the rest of the song on Night & Day, yes. Tend to agree, it doesn’t quite work.

Hows about “I Want You by my Side”?

My Driving Wheel has the right sentiments, tho’ hopefully you won’t have to be writing letters.

Ta for all the good tunes.

By L. on 01.27.09 9:19 am

I think that Night & Day is really rather interesting – a novel idea I think. Sun to Sun is rather pedestrian I feel, at least by Blake’s standards. Any information on where these tracks appeared from and, possibly more importantly, how many missing Blake tracks are there still to find?

By James Neal on 01.27.09 6:06 pm

I love your blog. Always informative and unearthing hidden gems. I am applying to UNC for graduate school – Fall of 2010. Hope Chapel Hill treats you well. I am currently in New Mexico but originally from SC. Hope to be in NC in 2010.

By Marcelo on 01.28.09 6:51 pm

Very interesting, thanks. And it’s good to have you back!

By peter patnaik on 01.28.09 7:46 pm

the story behind these tracks is here : http://www.oldhatrecords.com/trunkfulloblues.html

i believe that there is still one outstanding record by him that hasn’t been found – Miss Emma Lizza

By Frank on 02.11.09 4:21 pm

Thanks for uploading this. Ever since I heard about the find of this (and of the Ben Curry one!), I´ve wanted to hear them!

Any chance for you to upload the Ben Curry ones as well? (Hot Dog/The Laffing Rag) Are they also banjo / harmonica acc.?

Thanks for your wonderful blog! I was missing it.

By mop on 03.02.09 3:01 pm

It’s one hell of a noise, even for these old records. But the music’s a jewel anyway.

By Lloyd on 06.05.10 3:38 pm

The liner notes on the fifth disc of “Blind Blake: All the Published Sides” notes, “In either May or October 1931, Paramount cut four Blake sides which have vanished: Dissatisfied Blues/Miss Emma Liza and Night And Day/Sun To Sun. Any record collector sharp eyed enough to uncover these is guaranteed fame, but probably not fortune.” Congratulations to Old Hat Records for uncovering one of the two discs. Everyone, keep your eyes out for the other!!!

By louis vuitton zippy wallet-303880 on 11.07.15 1:52 pm

parajumpers shops usa

The advantages of Displaying The orga canada goose parka store legit nization Normal Nowadays, a number of businesses parka moncler homme tend to be noticed choosing regular company clothing with regard to workers through the majority of verticals. Odd…

By moncler boutique en ligne-863465 on 11.07.15 2:33 pm

doudoune moncler vest femme mode noir

Flasher discovered by way of police apart from conscious upon Cumbr sacs a mains louis vuitton ian road Erika McShane happe moncler clearance sale n to be discovered by way of police intoxicated as well as other when compared with conscious concerning…