New York Is A Pretty City
Posted in 1920s,Female Blues,Jazz on 03.04.08

I don’t really know anything about today’s singer – Genevieve Davis – outside of this track she recorded with Louis Dumaine’s Jazzola Eight is flat out fantastic. The song is a familiar theme of northern disillusionment that followed both great migrations northward best represented in the blues world in Lonnie Johnson’s Southland Is Alright By Me. Davis doesn’t go into the theme as deeply as Johnson – but her lyrics are particularly effective lines like “did you ever dream lucky/wake up gold [referring to her honey] in hand/and you didn’t have a dollar to pay your house rent man.” Davis’ work on the song is done pretty quickly at around the minute and the half mark – leaving the rest of the song up to the Jazzola Eight who really knock it out of park – incredible work and some of the best examples of pre-war New Orleans jazz that I’ve heard. It is also the first by the Eight that I’ve heard. If anyone has their solo or backing work – I’d love to hear it.

Genevieve Davis – Haven’t Got A Dollar To Pay Your House Rent Man (1927)

By koreabluenote on 05.21.09 10:03 pm

jazz

By Gabriel on 01.07.12 8:10 pm

They’re on volume one of Yazoo’s “Jazz the World Forgot”

By http://xtremegainblogs.com on 10.18.13 12:58 am

Hi, I do think this is a great blog. I stumbledupon it ;) I
may return once again since i have book marked it.
Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to
help others.

By best fiends hack on 11.10.15 8:43 am

Heya outstanding blog! Does running a blog like this take a large amount of work?

I’ve virtually no understanding of programming however I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
Anyhow, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share.
I know this is off subject however I just wanted to ask.
Thank you!

my web blog – best fiends hack

By big fish casino hack cydia on 11.14.15 3:54 pm

Heya! I realize this is kind of off-topic however I needed to
ask. Does running a well-established blog such as yours require a large amount
of work? I’m brand new to operating a blog but I do write in my diary every day.
I’d like to start a blog so I can share
my experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips
for new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

Here is my web page – big fish casino hack cydia

By cheap jordan 8 aqua black friday on 11.17.15 3:08 am

Shop Aqua 8s Black Friday online. Cheap Air Jordan 8 Aqua For big
discount, save up to 70% off!