I’m Troubled About My Soul
Posted in 1930s,Field Recording,Gospel on 11.05.07

“Lord, I’m Troubled About My Soul” is my favorite traditional gospel song, though it does not have a deep recorded tradition as many southern gospel songs. This version is by Lillie Knox who was recorded by John Lomax on one of his Library of Congress field recording trips through South Carolina. Lillie Knox has a incredible voice – and this track recorded acapella is one of the most moving recordings I’ve ever heard.

Lille Knox – I’m Troubled About My Soul (1937)

By Jim on 11.06.07 10:03 pm

LOVE your site, I’m hooked.

I know Charlie Patton recorded this as “Troubled About My Mother.” What other versions are out there?

[…] I’m Troubled About My Soul from Honey, Where You Been So Long? […]

By geldof_bloke on 11.15.07 7:02 pm

Glad to see you’re still posting. You blog is terrific, so thank you! This is haunting song – simply amazing.

By Chris on 07.11.08 7:02 pm

Does anyone know the lyric to “Troubled About My Soul”?

By JBeijst on 12.18.09 7:21 am

Thank you, truly moving indeed.

By rnpotter on 12.27.10 3:31 am

The lyrics of the Frank Palmes version on the Goodbye Babylon collection are:

Wonder where my mother good Lord,
I wonder where she gone
She gone away to Canaan, Lord
And she won’t be troubled no more

Oh Daniel, he had trouble good Lord,
Trouble about-a his soul
He gone away to Canaan, Lord
And he won’t be troubled no more

Troubled Lord, I’m troubled good Lord,
Troubled about-a my soul
I’m going away to Canaan, Lord
And I won’t be troubled no more

Now can anyone decipher the lyrics to Charlie Patton’s version, recorded as “Troubled About My Mother”? Thanks all.

By Meidinger on 09.05.14 4:06 pm

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement? My blog has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any solutions to help reduce content from being ripped off? I’d certainly appreciate it.

By Imogene Kinzinger on 10.14.14 12:36 pm

Hi to all, the contents existing at this website are actually remarkable for people knowledge, well, keep up the nice work fellows.

By parajumpers coat for boys-318550 on 11.07.15 1:49 pm

louis vuitton m5933k

Children may positioned louis vuitton n63093 on Tudor clothing along w louis vuitton m59342 ith hearth the particular device Author by way of In case you stay unhappy while using the reaction supplied you may make connection with the specific IPSO byPo…

By Google on 11.19.15 8:05 am

We came across a cool web site that you may enjoy. Take a appear in the event you want.