I Got Diamonds On My Hands Now
Posted in 1920s,Hokum on 08.14.07

I have added a verification box to the comments section. Basically you have to enter the phrase in the box to prove that you are a real person and not a machine sent to wreck my comments section with ads for various pills and other things not related to blues. Of course if you are a machine – and you have learned to read letters in boxes, my site is yours to wreck.

Way back in ’04 I posted a track by the Hokum Boys which was the Georgia based group featuring Blind Blake and Black Rob, these Hokum Boys were session players in the Chicago jazz scene and were thrown together as a quick cash in the Hokum craze. I’m not the biggest Hokum fan around, but regular Honey readers will know I do love a good version of the Gambler’s Blues also known as St. James Infirmary. These Hokum Boys recorded two takes on the song and both are fantastic and feature some non standard instrumentation for the song – No. 2 features a great banjo lead and No. 1 has a little Spanish influence in the guitar runs, though I think the vocal preformance really steals the show from the guitar/piano work.

The Hokum Boys – Gambler’s Blues (1929)
The Hokum Boys – Gambler’s Blues No. 2 (1929)

By ed on 08.24.07 11:59 am

london internet father eleephant

By ed on 08.24.07 12:01 pm

life internet father
elephant

By Tomato on 09.04.07 5:54 pm

I miss the music. Come back soon.

By Abe Something on 09.11.07 5:46 pm

Is this place dead? I hope not … I miss the blues updates. This place provided me the blues musicians I hadn’t yet discovered.

By Robert R. Calder on 01.06.08 5:44 am

Blind Blake never recorded as a member of the Hokum Boys, and their name was reserved for ensembles of Chicago-based musicians. On “Gambler’s Blues” Bob Robinson sings, on “Gambler’s Blues No.2” the banjo player is Banjo Ike Robinson, who recorded a lot at that time. The pianist on both is Jimmy Blythe and a careful listen bears out the instrumental identifications. Blythe died in 1931, Delmark just issued a CD of his piano roll recordings.

By peter patnaik on 01.07.08 11:04 pm

these hokum boys are chicago based, but blind blake recorded a track “I Was Afraid of That” as part of the hokum boys as did Big Bill Broonzy, Tampa Red and other non-chicago blues players.

By sorryboy robinson on 01.20.08 7:54 am

My first visit. The website looks wonderful!

By sorryboy robinson on 01.20.08 7:57 am

I seem to be stuck here!

By 159 “SJI” variations « NO NOTES on 11.10.08 11:11 am

[…] through the site, there’s a post from back in August of 2007 about the Hokum Boys’ two versions of “Gambler’s Blues.” A November post […]

By Jhonatta on 12.24.15 10:14 pm

Eimai o P kai dilono oti den eimai kaolthou sexy (apeho 10 pontous pio kato kai 10 kila pio pano from what can be seen as the average sexy boy), aplos to provato, opos alloste ehei kikloforisei stin Athina, ehei ipervoliki libido, ektos apo kali kardia kai talento sta logia. Na poume akoma oti o Likavitos itan htes ena aperanto “straightadiko” kai malista me 60-40 ginaikes – antres (girls love Kotsira). Kata t’ alla simfono apolita me tin absolutely spot on kritiki provatou gia ti sinavlia. Prostheto oti o Kotsiras ehei laiko metalo fonis pou koubonei fovera me ta palia kala laika – plessas kai etsi, aporo pou den leei perissotera.