Hard Workin’ Woman
Posted in 1930s,Country Blues,Honey on 08.07.06

This is track is a suggestion/request from Megan of the Roulette Sisters, I hadn’t heard of Mississippi Matilda before she suggested and now I don’t know how I lived so long without her. Matilda was married to the wonderful guitar player Sonny Boy Nelson (Eugene Powell) who backed her this song, Hard Workin’ Woman, which details her job has a house worker. I can imagine that must of been one happy baby, to have Matilda sing to her in the most perfect, almost high lonesome voice that rivals Texas Gladden for sheer beauty.

The request part is if any one has a transcription of the lyrics. It doesn’t seem too hard, I might give it a go this week.

Mississippi Matilda – Hard Workin’ Woman (1936)

By Tuwa on 08.08.06 8:32 am

Very nice.

By C. on 08.08.06 10:24 am

HARD WORKING WOMAN

Lord I’m a hard workin’ woman and I work hard all the time
Lord I’m a hard workin’ woman and I work hard all the time
But it seem like my baby, lord, he is dissatisfied

I have to go to my work baby, ‘tween midnight and day
I didn’t think my baby would treat me thisaway
Go to my work baby, ‘tween midnight and day
I didn’t think my baby, lord, would treat me thisaway

Lord I’m a hard workin’ woman, lord I’m becoming a rolling stone
Lord I’m a hard workin’ woman, lord I’m becoming a rolling stone
And the way my baby treats me, lord I ain’t gon’ be here long

Now do you remember the morning baby, you knocked upon my door
You told me, daddy, you didn’t have nowhere to go
Can’t you remember, you knocked upon my door
You told me, baby, you didn’t have no place to go

Lord I’m a hard working woman, babe and I work hard, sick or well
Lord I’m a hard working woman, lord and I work hard, sick or well
Lord all I gets from my baby, hey hey is a heap of hell

By Megan on 08.09.06 7:58 pm

Looks right on to me. Thanks so much for working out the lyrics. It’s much appreciated.

By C. on 08.10.06 10:45 am

No problem!

By MARIO on 08.29.06 8:15 pm

This is REALLY something else !

By Erick on 08.05.14 7:13 pm

It’s an remarkable post in favor of all the online users; they will obtaiin advantage from it I am sure.

Feel free to surf tto myy web site; seo Barnet (Erick)