Old Vet Blues
Posted in 1940s,Honey,Piano Blues on 07.10.06

Poor Boy Burke recorded four sides for Columbia in 1941, though they would sit around unreleased until the early 90s. Nothing is known about Burke or this session, Burke is the singer and quite a polished one at that suggesting that he has been singing for many years before this recording and he is backed by a very good, but unknown band. The whole side has a high degree of polish that isn’t really found a lot until after the war.

Poor Boy Burke – Old Vet Blues (1941)

By Megan on 07.11.06 7:08 pm

That piano player is great.

By Tony Gilroy on 07.12.06 8:55 am

I think you’ll find that he was St Louis Jimmy, real name James Burke Oden.

By Gene Olson on 07.13.06 10:36 am

I love these tunes!! I love your site!! Keep up the awesome work!!

I do have one suggestion though….

The font on your links on the right side of the page is so tiny I cannot for the life of me read it!!

And I just know there is some great stuff there too!

Thanks Gene O

By peter patnaik on 07.13.06 12:36 pm

durr. i even have the st. louis jimmy complete works with this track on it.

as for the font issues, what browser are you using? we are working on a new layout that should fix the issue, but i’ll try to fix the font on the sidebar if i can before that.

By Erik HOst on 10.24.06 6:35 pm

Sorry gents, this piano player is the great Roosevelt Sykes. No doubt about it. Even the date and the matrix no.s fits very well. The bass player seem to be Alfred Elkins, as he and Sykes were in the same studio that day, making 8 no.s. Out of them “Training Camp Blues” is the only one issued.
Great site. I’d love to hear more. Thanks

By Xanax lawsuits. on 05.31.07 4:48 pm

Xanax withdrawal symptom….

Generic xanax no prescription. Xanax. Generic xanax 2 mg no prescription. Xanax weight gain….

By online xanax us on 06.28.07 6:30 pm

xanax online with delivery online xanax