Operator Blues
Posted in Honey on 12.29.05

The violin is one of the most underused instruments in blues music – the weeping sound works just as well within blues as it does with country music. Andrew and Jim Baxter were a father/son group out of Georgia who recorded for Victor in 1929. We’ve blogged about them before, but I recently came across some more of their recordings and they are just so good. Goodbye Blues is a great lonesome blues track and Operator Blues is a great reworking of How Long Blues.

Links are now fixed. Frankie’s post was on the money – the Frazier/Patterson song was My Journey Home.

Andrew and Jim Baxter – Operator Blues
Andrew and Jim Baxter – Goodbye Blues

Post to Twitter Post to Facebook

By frankie on 12.29.05 9:03 pm

Hi Peter – love the site! I should tell you that the tune you posted as Goodbye Blues is actually a tune by Nathan Frazier and Frank Patterson, I’d bet – not a blues at all. The tune you posted as Operator Blues is certainly Andrew & Jim Baxter, but the title is Goodbye Blues.

The Baxters have such a wonderful, fluid sound. I’m a big fan!

By peter patnaik on 12.29.05 9:05 pm

oops. i ripped tracks four and five and not 3 and four off this cd.

By Paul Shoffner on 08.30.06 11:58 am

Great to hear of your interest in Andrew and Jim Baxter. I am happy to announce a Festival honoring them and their music in our hometown of Calhoun, in NW Georgia, for May 5th, 2007.
This was a center for string music in the late 20′s, with our Georgia Yellowhammers being extremely popular. We have booked the Carolina Chocolate Drops (soon to be featured on NPR) who play Baxter tunes and are psyched to be a part of this music festival. More information on other bands later. Website soon.

By Marita Svensson on 01.31.07 8:38 am

Hello
I live in Sweden and I’m a great lover of blues
This very day I have listened to the Baxter brothers in “K. C. Railroad”. I borrowed this CD from my library; “Walk Right In”, where they, together with other musicians share their “genius” with the rest of us.
Bye for now! Marita

By Matthew on 03.11.09 2:24 am

I’m from Calhoun Georgia….HAUNTING AND SHOWS YOU RITE!

By Paul Shoffner on 04.17.10 9:11 am

Our 4th Annual International String Band Festival honoring Andrew and Jim Baxter and The Georgia Yellowhammers is this coming Saturday, April 24th in Downtown Calhoun, at the Harris Arts Center. Free outside music performances starting at 11AM, fiddle & banjo contests, Historical presentation and evening performances in the theater.
Jamming all day around town. Flyer posted on Old Hat Website: http://www.oldhatrecords.com one of our most generous sponsors. Y’all Come!

By Ben on 04.21.10 1:39 pm

I was kind of excited to see your comment, Paul – I stumbled across this old post while looking for information about Goodbye Blues. Timely information in a very roundabout way!

By Paul Shoffner on 02.10.11 3:19 pm

Well time flies, and here we are at another Spring String Band Festival honoring Andrew and Jim Baxter, The Georgia Yellow Hammers, The Skillet Lickers and “Mysterious” Bluesman Will Bennett. Through Baxter field research, we found Will is from Calhoun, which clears up the mystery on where he was from! He cut “Railroad Bill” and “Real Estate Blues” in Knoxville about 1928, and is known as the first “Trickster” Bluesman, taking on the qualities of the outlaw he is singing about, in this case, Railroad Bill, a Black train robber in Alabama, thirty years before his cutting the tune. Our String Band Festival and Fiddler’s Convention commences on May 13th & 14th, 2011,with a concert by The Georgia Crackers and The New Binkley Brothers at the Harris Arts Center Downtown, and an all-day throwdown Saturday May 14th at the Cherokee Capital Fairgrounds. Fiddle/Banjo/String Band competitions w. cash prizes, performances by Georgia String Bands, Open Stage, widespread jamming, food, historical presentations and more fun than folks should be allowed to have. FaceBook page very soon:
The Georgia String Band Festival
(706) 629-2599 for more Information
Y’all Come! (Battle Of Resaca reenactment on original battlefield the next weekend.)